About Goddard & Co
Stephen Goddard is a specialist strata solicitor with over 30 years experience. His practice provides general advice on strata law issues.
He is a past Chairperson of the Owners Corporation Network (OCN) – the peak consumer representative body for the strata community. Services to OCN in the public interest resulted in Stephen being awarded OCN life membership and the “Meritorious Service Award – 2019”.
The decision to specialize in delivery of legal services to the strata community was taken in 2002 when Stephen was elected Chair of Regis Towers – a scheme in distress.
The reputation of Goddard & Co as a leading practice specializing in strata law is due to the diligence, experience and application of its members in delivery of outcome to client need.
Stephen’s commitment to living or investing in strata buildings is exemplified by his role within OCN – the only community based representative body for owners in strata schemes. OCN, with Stephen’s support, continues to successfully lobby for necessary changes to legislation and Government policy. Stephen sits on various Government and industry boards and panels presenting the consumer viewpoint.
The OCN gives members a voice at both State and Federal level about Government policy and legislation in the area of apartment-living, and a chance to forward their views on problems, solutions and the kind of future that, as apartment-owners, we would all like to see. It also gives members access to fellow members’ experience in areas like defects rectification, strata disputes, shared services, and levy management through regular meetings and an on-line discussion group for asking questions and sharing information. These resources may save members thousands of dollars and an immense amount of heartache in the long run!
The keynote achievements of OCN since incorporation can be listed as:
- Causing the NSW Government to convene the Joint Select Committee on the Quality of Buildings;
- Deliver public awareness to the issue of private certification and building defects;
- Legislative change recognising “large strata schemes”;
- Legislative change requiring the circulation of minutes and agendas;
- Creating awareness for Sinking Fund Plans;
- Causing developers to have a legislative obligation to delver “as built” plans and drawings to the Owners Corporation;
- Creating public awareness about strata issues – short term tenancy abuse of common property;
- Public Seminar program to assist in good governance of strata schemes.